Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Aura - Taking Advantage of Dine Around

Aura website

Double Smoked Pork Belly Risotto
Taking advantage of Dine Around & Stay in Town, some friends and I decided to check out Aura restaurant located at the Laurel Point Inn. Arriving there, parking was a bit of an issue; we ended up parking a few hundred meters away on Montreal St. The atmosphere was elegant and refined - not something a BC Connoisseur would typically go for to hang out with friends, but it was something different. Greeted by the hostess, I was soon seated at a large round table, with comfortable chairs and a harbour-side view.
The restaurants Dine Around menu only had the $30 option which is as follows:



Aura Crusted Tempura Prawns
Appetizer 1 -Aura Crusted Tempura Prawns togorashi mayonnaise, warm edamame, lime salt

Appetizer 2 - Mixed Organic Field Greens tomato, cucumber, red onion, white balsamic vinaigrette

Appetizer 3 - Butternut Squash Puree warm apple and squash salad


Braised Short Rib

  

Entree 1 - Double Smoked Pork Belly Risotto cauliflower Persillade and Parmesan foam 

Entree 2 - Braised Short Rib braised beef short rib, chanterelle mushroom jus, winter squash puree and fondant potatoes

Entree 3 - Spinach and Cannellini Bean Ravioli tomato braised endive, sweet pea pesto, seared Saganaki cheese

 


 

Dessert 1 - Chocolate Hazelnut Trio
Chocolate Hazelnut Trio

hazelnut financier, milk chocolate mousse, raspberry truffle, chocolate hazelnut ice cream

Dessert 2 - Butternut Squash Crème Brûlée honey thyme shortbread, biscotti sticks and cranberry sugar

Dessert 3 - House Made Ice Cream & Sorbet Please ask your server for selection

 

Brioche with orange infused butter
Between all of us, we were able to try most of the dishes. I decided to start with the butternut squash puree, followed by the braised short rib and then the butternut squash crème brulee. Before our starters arrived, we were treated with complimentary brioche served with an orange infused butter. I haven’t had much brioche in the past, but the ones we were served had a flaky exterior, and a semi-dense centre. Coupled with the orange infused butter, it had a sweet flavour, almost like a light cornbread. It was a nice filler, but not something I would ever crave.


The squash soup on the other hand, was a strong starter.  Sweet, yet savory, the combination of apples complimented the squash for a subtle soup that wasn’t too heavy. I’m not entirely sure how necessary the squash salad and the cheese topping was though. I recall having a squash soup at Fireside last time Dine Around was happening, and their addition of garlic croutons was phenomenal. This version of squash soup was good, but I think more attention was put into appearance than taste. My friends decided to go with the crusted tempura prawns, which were essentially tempura prawns that had been coated and fried with strips of wonton skins for added crunch. I have yet to meet a tempura prawn I didn’t like.

Braised Short Rib
For the entrée, I had the braised short rib with chanterelles, squash puree and fondant potatoes. The braised short rib was definitely the star on the plate; full of flavour and tender enough to cut with a fork. I just wished there was more of it or that they did something more with the other things on the plate. I have no idea what fondant potato is, but what I interpret it as is an undercooked potato rectangle. The squash puree and carrots were fine, but the leeks on the side were still quite raw. I’m not sure if this was done for a textural contrast, but the only thing on the plate that was exciting was the protein.

Butternut Squash Creme Brulee
Dessert on the other hand was solid. One would think butternut squash crème brulee a completely bizarre creation, but it really reminded me of pumpkin pie, yet it was still distinctly a crème brulee. A little more of a sugar crust would have been nice, but no real complaints otherwise.

Overall, the service and atmosphere were above average; however, in my opinion, Aura is the type of place you’d go on a special occasion or on a date. Had it not been for Dine Around, I doubt it’d be a top pick for the aforementioned occasions either. While the food was good, it wasn’t anything mind blowing and I felt more emphasis was placed on appearance than taste and substance. I didn’t feel entirely full after the meal, but then again, I may not be the best measure for quantity as I had just gone for a run prior to the dinner.

- Mr. Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment