Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wannawafel

Wannawafel

 After hearing so much about this place with it's recent stint on Dragons' Den, I just had to check it out! Wannawafel is a small Belgian waffle shop located on the perimeter of Market Square (Johnson St. side). Soon as I turned the corner to enter Market Square, there was a lineup outside the restaurant. The aroma pumped out of this little place is divine, so the lineup was no deterrent whatsoever. When I finally got inside the restaurant, they have a large menu board posted right above the till. One can order either a Brussels waffle, or a Liege waffle, with various toppings available. The toppings available are: icing (free with your waffle), whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, and fruit compote. Waffles are $3.50 and toppings range from $1.00 to $2.00.

I was told that if I was going to check the place out, I just had to order the Liege waffle, which I did. In fact, I managed to order the last Liege waffle of the day, and it was only shortly after 4pm (sorry to those waiting behind me!) I figured since I was down there, I may as well do it up and get the fruit compote with the waffle. It took about 10 minutes for my order, which they kindly brought out of the restaurant to the bench I was waiting at.

The waffle looked and smelled amazing, and the waffle itself did not disappoint. The Liege waffle had a nice initial crunch, with a dense, chewy and semi-sweet taste and texture. By itself, a very satisfying snack! However, the fruit compote was less impressive. Maybe it was the pairing of this particular waffle with the compote, but I found myself trying to pick the tart berries off the waffle.



Wannawafel is worth checking out, and for under $6 you'll get a delicious snack. I do, however, suggest something more subtle to pair with the Liege waffle. The icing sugar, or whipped cream will likely compliment it better.Wannawafel is open from 10am to 5:00pm, so if you're determined to get your waffle, you better go early!

- Mr. Pink

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Thanks for a very informative article. I am very impressed with your blog.

    best pellet smoker reviews

    ReplyDelete